ACHIEVEMENTS OF RESCUE MISSION ADMINISTRATION OF HIS EXCELLENCY, DR. OWELLE ROCHAS ANAYO OKOROCHA, OON, SAM, THE GRAND COMMANDER OF FREE, QUALITATIVE AND FUNCTIONAL EDUCATION IN THE EDUCATIONAL SECTOR IN IMO STATE FROM 2011 TILL DATE
HIGHLIGHTS OF FREE EDUCATION
Enrolment explosion from 276,000 to over 1 million as a result of access to functional and qualitative education through the declaration of Free Education Policy by His Excellency, Dr. Owelle Rochas Anayo Okorocha, OON, SAM
Establishment of 27 ICT Centres in the 27 L.G.As to promote Science and Technology.
Recruited over 7000 Youth Must Work Teacher most who are now permanent teachers.
Built 4 New Universities, namely
(i) University of Engineering
(ii) University of Agriculture
(iii) Eastern Palm University and
(iv) Marine University
104,000 candidates registered and sat for JAMB out of the 414,000 registered candidates all over Nigeria.
Over 27,000 Imo youths on Free Education in various State Tertiary Institutions namely, (i) Imo State University, (ii) Imo State Polytechnic, (iii) College of Nursing and Science and (iv) Imo College of Education, Ihitte Uboma.
Up to 502 units of 12 classroom blocks of Storey Buildings in 305 electoral wards in the State that contain 9,216 modern classrooms.
No strike nor industrial action by teachers since 2011.
Establishment of SDC and SBMC have helped in enhancing and maintaining Quality Assurance.
Procured 6 buses for 6 Educational Zones of the State for constant monitoring and supervision of schools to promote Quality Assurance.
Has paid running cost to Principals and Heads of Primary Schools as and at when due.
Motivated Area Inspectorates of Education (AIEs), Education Secretaries and Directors of Schools with imprest to enhance Quality Assurance.
*Operation No Loitering During School Hours
* Hawk No More for all the School Age Children
* Operation Catch Them Young in Agriculture from the School Sector
* Introduced Young Farmers Club in Schools
*Innovation on Holiday Summit for Education Stakeholders
* Nations Greatness depends on the quality of its citizens. We believe that all hands must be on desk deck to ensure that the future of Nigerians is well catered for so that their tomorrow will be better.
Imo State has been confirmed by UNESCO as one of the 4 Learning Cities in Nigeria hence the impact of Free, Functional and Qualitative Education.
Produced quality teachers who always have been trained and retrained.
Imo is ahead of all states of the Federation in actualizing vision 20-30 of the 17 goals of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Goal No. 4 Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning for all, 4.1: By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys complete free, equitable and quality primary and secondary education leading to relevant and effective learning outcomes
Established 3 Command Science Secondary Schools in 3 Senatorial Zones of Imo State
Established new Imo State College of Education at Ihitte Uboma
Hunger to realize the 3 key expectations of education on our National Policy namely Input (Access), Processes (Quality Assurance) and Output (Impact Quality output) Self-reliance and self-sufficiency All enhancing Enrollment, Retention and Completion.
– Salaries paid as and at when due
– Releases over N100 million running cost to Principals and Heads of Primary Schools for minor repairs and needs of the schools
– Procured and distributed important school records to both Primary and Secondary schools in Imo State.
– Imo teachers are now proud car and house owners
– Re-launched Globalization of Igbo Language to promote our culture and secure our land
– Most schools now have their perimeter fencing which reduces encroachment to the school land.
– Establishment of Imo Community Watch (ICW) has reduced crime and insecurity in the land man our school property and lives.
– Imo students have competed favourably with other children from other states and won several laurels and prizes e.g. the President debate, 1st position. Imo to represent the Nation in Turkey come September, 2017.
– Initiated Holiday Summit for Education Stakeholders in all our 27 L.G.As to review the previous sessions educational activities/program
– Attracted and collaborated with National Directorate of Employment (NDE) on Skills Training to our students during the long vacation.
– Introduced Entrepreneurship Training to acquire skills for economic development early enough in life that will reduce the spirit of unemployment.
– Renovated, remodeled and reconstructed over 921 Bungalows
– Supplied over 325,000 desks and chairs to our pupils and students.
– Supplied over 500,000 school uniforms, sandals and stockings
– Declared State of Emergency on all Science Laboratories in all the Secondary Schools in the State.
– Declared State of Emergency on face lifting of all our secondary schools in the State.
– Provided Good Governance and created an enabling environment that have attracted good spirited individuals to complement the efforts of the government.
– Initiated and introduced mentorship programme and Old Boys and Girls Associations.
– Reduced rate of cultism and other social vices by encouraging anointed men and women of God to intervene in reducing moral decadence and promote high moral virtues.
– Introduced new dress codes for teachers to enhance their personality and public image.
– Has sustained Free Education for 6 good years and counting.
– Established Imo State Education Trust Fund (IMSETFund) to sustain Free Education Policy beyond 2019.
– Poverty rate of Imo was at 57% in 2011 but now at 19% by UNESCO ratio/World Bank.
– Renovated, reconstructed and equipped 4 Technical Colleges.
– Provided trophies, and other sporting equipment to promote the psychomotor domain aspect of education for various competitions.
– Operation Catch Them Young in Physical Activities Channels for Primary, Coca-Cola and Shell for Secondary.
– Initiated Award of Excellences to the Teachers, Pupils and Students.
– Established a functional Education Management Information System (EMIS) in Imo State and hosted the 1st ever National Maiden EMIS Conference in Imo State
– Partners with IMSU, ALVAN, ICAPS and other educationists in the Train the Trainer Programmes.
– Ensures the policy requirements of Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN) is fully implemented in Imo State.
– Imo State produces high quality Teachers throughout the Federation
– Enshrine spirit of leadership into the mind of our children through organizing constant Summit by His and Her Excellencies.
– Constructed the State-of-the-art building and donated it to the National Commission on Literacy, Adult and Non-Formal Education (NMEC)
– Initiated total adoption of all Imo Children
– Paid stipend to Imo children to encourage them to go to school.
– Integrating moral in our set induction and entry behavior in delivering our lessons bearing in mind that every subject has its root in the Scripture (The WORD OF GOD).
– Promoting Science and Technology by the provision of Interactive Board and provision of ICT Centres in some of our schools.
– Built a brand new Young Scientists College for promotion of science education.
– Motivating Science and Igbo Language Teachers with additional 5% increase in their salaries.
– Provision of instructional materials for effective teaching and learning to take center stage.
– Sponsored both Teachers, Pupils and Students for international training Capacity Building and competition by our children
– Major Trade Mark of the Rescue Mission Government Declaration of Free, Functional, Qualitative and Comprehensive Education.
– Provision of Conducive School environment that has ushered in effective Quality Assurance.
– Establishes Model Schools in the 3 Senatorial zones of the state.