By: Obi Bright Chinweuba
At the time Nigerians are skeptical on the real intentions of ‘Constituency Projects’ of the National Assembly members, here is the story of a young Parliamentarian who blazes his trail in his Constituency.
With an astonishing record, an account of innovative transformation and development of Okigwe North Federal constituency, Hon. Engr. Obinna Kingsley Onwubuariri, a member representing IsialaMbano/Onuimo/Okigwe Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives has touched so many lives through various laudable projects.
A young politician of great appeal to a cross section of his constituency, Hon. Onwubuariri, taking cognizant of the fact that water is life, introduced a pipe-borne water scheme to people of Okigwe north Federal Constituency. Every ward will benefit from this gesture, as drilling of boreholes is still ongoing in the various wards.
He has also built modern toilet facilities in major markets across Okigwe North Federal constituency, embarked on rural electrification and revitalization of primary health care centers in his constituency.
On job opportunities, giving the limited space available and the tedious process of gaining entry into the Military, the young Legislator maximizes the opportunity of his membership of the House Committee on Defense and the proximity that exists between him and the Chairman of the Committee to provide job opportunities for his people.
“In the Military, despite that the spaces are highly limited, with my membership of the House Committee on Defense and my closeness to the Chairman of the Committee; I have been able to secure seamless entry into the army of our constituents who applied for enlistment. By last count, our brothers and sisters in the military through my humble self and modest effort are thirteen. These number cut across the three local governments in our constituency” The young Legislator narrated.
Despite the marginalization of the South-East and South-South in the recruitment into the Civil Service and its opaque process under this present administration, unlike in the PDP administration where lawmakers are given slots for their constituents, Hon. Onwubuariri, with his Midas touch, secured entry into the civil service of eleven sons and daughters from his constituency. And they are into strategic places like the DSS, FIRS, and key Ministries.
Outside the civil service, “I have been able to secure employments for our people into the private sector (banks, etc.) whilst leveraging on my personal contacts and reaches in that sector.
“The current climate against the South East and South-South notwithstanding, I am confident that, given the assurances I secured during the budget exercise, more candidates from our constituency will be absorbed into the federal civil service in this 2018” According to him.
At the House of Representatives where he is doing his primary legislative duties, Hon. Onwubuariri has demonstrated that a golden fish has no hidden place.
The House resonates any time he has the floor and his colleagues always listen with rapt attention in order not to miss a point from this eloquent first timer.
He has within this period of his tenure sponsored Bills and Motions that are geared towards tackling and redressing identified problems within his Constituency, Imo State and Nigeria in general. Some of these Motions and Bills are:
• A Bill to Provide for Disclosure of Likely Ozone Layer Depletion Activities of Companies Operating in Nigeria
• An act to amend the Nigerian postal services Act, cap N127, Laws of the federation of Nigeria, 2004, to make NIPOST Publicity accountable and postal services more reliable.
• A Bill to Amend the Standard Organization of Nigeria Act, 2015, to make the communications for financially accountable and to provide for other matters appertaining thereto: services more reliable and for related matters.
• A Bill to Amend Medical and Dental Practitioners Act, Cap M8, Laws of the Federal republic of Nigeria, 2004 to among others, to make provisions for compensation for Medical Mal-practices and Negligence and review upward practices fee and penalties: and for other matters connected therewith (HBs. 141 and 135) co-sponsored with Hon DanburamNuhu.
Hon. Onwubuariri has so many motions to his credit that you’ll wonder if he is indeed, a first timer. Some of the motions are:
1. Motion on the Urgent need to complete the Reconstruction/Rehabilitation of Oba-Nnewi-Okigwe Road: Hon. Obinna Onwubuariri, Hon Chris Azubuogu, Hon. Eucharia Azodo, Hon Austin Chukwukere: This is a joint effort I put up with fellow legislators whose constituency and interests are adversely affected by the condition of that road.
2. Motion calling on the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) and the Federal Government to resume work on the NTA Channel 27, Okigwe, Imo State: Hon. Onwubuariri Obinna Kingsley. The position of this Station is well known to most of us. But the fact is that it was removed during the time of his predecessor; he’s pushing it to see if we can achieve a reversal of that removal.
3. Motion calling on the Federal Government to drop the 20% Tariff imposed on the imported medicines into Nigeria as a matter of higher National concern: Hon. Obinna Kingsley Onwubuariri.
4. Motion on the need to investigate the alleged importation of Genetically Modified Maize into Nigeria: Hon. Obinna Kingsley Onwubuariri.
Just to mention a few.
In his quest to protect the interest of his constituents who are aggrieved with one institution or the other, Hon. Onwubuariri has been able to present to the House, many Petitions from his constituents who have been aggrieved in one way or the other by government institutions.
According to him, “the emphasis is not merely on “Presentation,” but on “pursuing it.” Some of these have been recommended for reinstatement while others are about to be recommended in like manner. I was assured that they will all receive positive treatment by the House.”
Apart from using his office to touch lives of his constituents, the Honorable member has used his deep pocket to empower his constituents more especially, the youth.
Based on his belief in sustainable knowledge, and its values, as well as the development it will bring into Okigwe North, the Young parliamentarian representing Okigwe North in the National assembly, Hon. Obinna Kingsley Onwubuariri embarked on training of his constituents. He strongly believes that confidence comes from discipline and also from job training, as it empowers people to realize their dreams and improve their lives.
He has trained people on energy management, financial management, poultry, pig and fish farming and many other beautiful vocations like solar electricity training, providing sewing machines, grinding machines, hair-dressing equipment, Barbing kits, and motorcycle for teeming youths of his constituency. The disabled are not left out for they always get their own share of the dividends of democracy.
This young, amiable, articulated, ebullient and eloquent parliamentarian, Hon. Engr. Obinna Kingsley Onwubuariri achieved all these irrespective of the fact that he is in opposition party, a first timer, and a relatively young man. What will happen when his party becomes the ruling party, he becomes a ranking member in the house? The sky will be the starting point for the people of Okigwe North Federal Constituency.
Like they say: ONE GOOD 'TERM' DESERVES ANOTHER.